Where in the world is Megan Humphreys?

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tremors Part 1

The contents of this website are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. government or Peace Corps.

October 13, 2010

I forgot to mention the earth tremor we had last Friday, the last night of our orientation. I had a head cold and so went to bed early while everyone else went to a dinner/barbeque. It was around 7:30 or 8 and I was half asleep, alone in the room, when all of the sudden the bunk bed started to shake. It took me a couple seconds to wake up and realize what it was. It lasted maybe 10 or 12 seconds. The first half I waited out in bed and it started to ebb, but then it started to get stronger so I got up to get in the doorway. By the time I reached the doorway, however, it had stopped.

I wasn't nearly as scared as I thought I would be, I guess because I thought it would be a lot stronger than it was. Nothing really even moved or fell, just shook. I found out later that it was actually pretty strong, 5.6 on the Richter scale (at 6.0 it is deemed an earthquake), but it wasn't very strong because it was very deep in the earth, about 100 kilometers.

My Spanish/culture trainer talked about it with us today and said that the amount of damage done depends not only on how strong the tremor was, but how close to the surface it is. For example, a tremor in Costa Rica in 1991 that caused a lot of damage and killed 52 people was only 5.5 but was 15 kilometers from the surface.

These tremors/earthquakes are quite common here, so I'm sure this won't be the only experience.


2 Comments:

  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Doreen said…

    Not sure when you will be able to read this...just wanted you to know how great it is to hear how you are doing and what is happening in your life while you are in Costa Rica. It sounds as if you are adjusting alright?! Certainly alot of changes but many challenges and excitement too.
    We are all doing well here in Wisconsin. Daniel just found out his orders...Fort Hood to work with their Airborne unit. No talk of deployment yet, but of course possible. Sam and Susan both looking forward to the semester being over and alittle bit of a break.
    We look forward to hearing from you soon.
    Take Care Megan,
    Aunt Doreen

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Megan Humphreys said…

    Hey Aunt Doreen,
    Glad to hear from you. Yes, I'm adjusting really well and am so happy with my decision. It was exactly right for me.
    I hope Daniel is happy with his orders. I've been seeing his interesting comments on Facebook so we'll see what he has to say about it there.
    Say hi to the family for me!
    Take care and talk to you soon!
    Megan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home